As you gather your records this tax time, think about what has or hasn’t worked well over the year. Make a new (financial) year resolution for your record keeping practices that’s easy to stick to! Here’s to a prosperous new (financial) year, new you!
Top tips for record keeping success:
- Maintain separate business and personal records. For example, have a bank account used only for business transactions.
- Keep records for five years (usually from when you lodge your tax return) to prove what you’ve reported and claimed.
- Set aside time to regularly review and update your records. You’ll spot potential problems sooner.
- Keep records electronically if you can. Built-in software checks can help you report income and claim expenses correctly.
The ATO’s Record keeping evaluation tool can help you find other improvements you can make.
Applying good record keeping practices now will make it easier next time you lodge. It’ll also help you track the health of your business.
Remember, registered tax agents can help you with your tax. DGL Accountants are here for you every step of the way! Give us a call today (07) 4944 0449.
- Use the ATO’s Record keeping evaluation tool
Find out about: